Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sugar Free Desserts in Walt Disney World

In March, I took a trip with a good friend to Walt Disney World for a week long vacation.  It was our second visit to WDW during the past year because we had the "Premiere" level annual passes this past year that covered both Disneyland and WDW.  Since the time that we were there before, in September, I had made significant changes to my diet due to health reasons which included eliminating sugar.  So as we prepared to go on our trip, and I was making advanced dining reservations (having learned the hard way that this was necessary during our September trip), I started researching whether sugar free options would be available.

I should say that sugar free is not really an option anywhere in Disneyland.  I have yet to discover any food places in Disneyland, be they quick service or table service, that offer sugar free dessert options.  This astounds me (as does the general lack of sugar free options everywhere) given that so many Americans suffer from health issues like diabetes.  So I was pleasantly surprised to discover that most (if not all?) of the table service restaurants in WDW have a sugar free dessert on the menu.  Here's a review of what I tried:

1.  Tony's Town Square Restaurant in the Magic Kingdom:  Green Apple No Sugar Added Sorbet




This sorbet was amazing, probably my favorite dessert while we were there.  It had a strong green apple flavor and was very refreshing after a hot day in the park.


2.  The Rose and Crown in Epcot:  Sugar Free Custard with Berries



This dessert was basically very similar to Creme Brulee (which I love) without the layer of hardened sugar on the top of course!  It was really delicious.

3.  Cinderella's Royal Table in the Magic Kingdom:  Raspberry No Sugar Added Sorbet

First off, let me just say that I really loved the experience of eating at Cinderella's Royal Table.  By this night, both my mom and my friend's mom had also joined us at WDW for the second half of our visit, and it was so much fun for the four of us to have dinner inside the castle and take our pictures with all of the Disney princesses.

The Raspberry Sorbet, like the Green Apple one, was very refreshing and yummy.  I definitely enjoyed it, although if I had to choose, I'd say the Green Apple was better.


Also, for a sugar free option other than with dinner, the ice cream parlor in the Future World section of Epcot actually had No Sugar Added Butter Pecan Ice Cream.  I didn't have any of this, but it did make me happy to see that it was available.  Now, if only Disneyland would get on board with making these options available...

No comments:

Post a Comment